Motherboard MS-6340 VER:1 (erp 140): Computer stops responding
Within 2 hours after startup, the computer stops working: the screen turns black and mouse/keyboard don't respond.
Rebooting doesn't work either. Within 2 seconds after power up, the motherboard powers down the hardddisk and produces a small click coming from a round black device named SAT-1205.
Only after a couple of hours the computer will boot again.
I can see bad capacitors (Chhsi 2700 uF, 6.3 V, diameter: 10 mm, height: 22 mm) on my motherboard.
I'm concerned about the following capacitors:
- 2x 4700uF/6.3V, brand `Chhsi' (these look good)
- 4x 2700uF/6.3V, brand `Chhsi' (swollen/bulged heads)
The capacitors turn out to be bad capacitors;
1. Consider replacing the motherboard - and probably the processor as well. Perhaps something more energy-efficient? The MS-6340 processor range burns 70 Watt while standing idle...
Contact MSI support. They were kind enough to send me new capacitors:
- 4x 2700uF/6.3V, brand `3DVDK'
- 2x 4700uF/6.3V, brand `nichicon'
- The central location for all information about bad capacitors
- Motherboard MS-6340 VER:1 (erp 0000): Computer stops responding
- I'm having the exact same problems with another motherboard, MS-6340 VER:1 (erp 0000), VIA VT82C686A chipset. Erp 140 (this page) has VIA VT86C686B chipset.
The FDD connector was connected the wrong way: the flat cable red side was connected to pin 33-34.
- MSI Microstar Motherboards - MS6340 dies with Athlon
- Forum thread about bad capacitor-problem of cheap MS Motherboards
- Does K7MPro (MS-6340M) & K7TM Pro (MS-6340) use the same BIOS?
- Explanation of difference between MS-6340 and MS-6340M
- "Over the years, there have been massive quantities of name-brand, high quality motherboards failing prematurely due to these faulty electrolytic capacitors..."
- Badcaps Forums - MS-6340 and 1000uF Caps
- Forum thread dedicated to the MS-6340 motherboard, also known as MSI K7TM Pro
- MSI Computer Corp. - Support - How to identify your motherboard model and BIOS version
- Procedure from MSI to identify the exact motherboard type
Tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 on the repaired motherboard. Before installation was completed, the computer shut down and I was unable to power up the motherboard again, facing the same problem: within two seconds after bootup you hear one beep and the motherboard shuts down.